Pets as Presents!
Few gifts spark the joy that a kitten or puppy does when presented as a holiday surprise. But it's important to remember that you're handing over a timid, living creature that's just been taken away from its first home and thrust into a noisy new environment. Before giving a pet as a present:
Back to: Articles of Interest
- Make sure that the recipient wants the pet for keeps, not just as a novelty, and fully understands and is able to deal with the commitment.
- Don't put pets in gift boxes; use a purpose built crate or pet carrier instead.
- Present the new pet in a quiet room, away from the festivities.
- Prepare a bed or pen in the assigned room and have only two or three people visit the new family member at a time.
- Consider giving a late present instead: Post-holiday surrender of pets has reached epic proportions - nearly 65 percent of puppies purchased this holiday season will be relinquished before next holiday season - so a better idea is to give a symbolic present and plan a New Year's trip to a shelter to a rescue an unwanted pet, and perhaps save a life.
Copyright © 2006,The Pet Docs Inc.